Fredericksburg Region Tourist Office
WASHINGTON AVENUE WEST
1200 – Inbuilt 1916/1917 Victor & M.C. Moon, traveler salesman. Architect, Philip Stern. Brick with Modern and Oriental Infusion, High High quality Work with Early Tile and Copper Channels
1204 – Inbuilt 1903 by J. McCalla Boulware, Boulware & Sons Proprietor, Feed and Cereal Business. The basic fashion of Queen Anne Victoria. The notice turned to the spindle ornament within the attic with cross cables and in detail the peeled porch.
1206 – E.J.Cartwright inbuilt 1906 and bought 1907 to Augusta (Eugene) Belle. Architect / Builder, E.G. "Peck" Heflin. Native granite utilized in Cartwright & Davis Quarry. Chateau Victorian fashion.
1208 – Samuel W. Somerville, President of the Fredericksburg School, Chairman of the Fredericksburg Bureau, and Member of the City Council. Originally a body. Within the 1920s, Frederick Feuerherd has renewed the European taste, which is accompanied by stuccoing and Veranda-arcade. Feuerherd was the owner of the Caroline Road confectionery enterprise
1300 – inbuilt 1904 by Dr. J. Edward Tompkins for his mother, Mary Tompkins, a mill who owned a hat retailer. The 1904 tax info provides the home a worth of $ 350. Builder, Frank Stearns. Mixture of Queen Anne Victorian, Colonial Revival and Shingles type.
1302 – inbuilt 1907 by D. Jackson Boulware, companion father, J. M. Boulware, Boulware & Sons, feed and cereal business. This Colonial Revival house displays the long lifetime of a easy coated home in the tradition of American structure.
1304 – Construct in 1911/1912 George W. Shepherd, Chief Government Officer and Civic Director. Architect, Philip Stern. Builder, Frank Stearns. Brick. Cracked brick compounds and patterned chimneys are modern particulars in a very giant Colonial Revival-style house. Observe that Window and Keystone Columns, Column Columns and different particulars are stone and cast iron
1306 – Inbuilt 1898 by Fredericksburg milling company W.N. Blake. Easy Queen Anne Victorian Type. Solely on the Washington Road, enriched with textured siding.
1400 – Inbuilt 1925 for J. B. Rawlings. Builder and Designer Frank P. Stearns. Colonial Revival fashion. The changing triangular and rounded dorm roofs mirror the Renaissance architecture. Notice the good-looking brick stage.
1404 – W. A. Bell, founding father of Bell's furnishings, inbuilt 1896. A easy queen Anne Victorian fashion with a three-story tower
1406 – inbuilt 1898 by Miss Sarah Cole, later by Mrs W. L. Brannon. Miss Cole was Colonel and Mrs E. D. Cole. Builder, Frank Stearns. Queen Anne Victorian type. Later, the basic fashion porch has been changed by the original conventional fashion. Word the two story bay and the stained glass window over the window.
1408 – Built by c.1897 Colonel E.D. Cole, E.D.Cole Coal & Lumber Retailer Owner, Property Developer and Group Manager. Easy Queen Anne Victorian Fashion.
WASHINGTON AVENUE EAST
1301 – Inbuilt 1890 by W. T. Mills. Simplified Queen Anne Victorian type with textured shingles and ornamental wood panels
1303 – W. T. Mills inbuilt 1896. Late Victorian type and Italian home echo. Observe that the upholstery, eaves, and chimney patterns have been made. 1909, Charles W. Edrington, Sergeant of the Metropolis. Built by E. G. "Peck" Heflin. Queen Anne Victoria and Colonial Revival. Word that the sample is made in the upper windows in the cover and the dormer
1307 – Inbuilt 1911 by Sergeant J. Conway of Chichester. Architect, J. Philip Stern. Craftsmen fashion. Large and horizontal porch with very "artistic" railings. Observe: Window Shutter Sample at Prime of Home windows
1309 – E.D. Cole inbuilt 1906 and bought in 1906 Joseph "Jake" to Goldsmith, Goldsmith's clothes store proprietor. In 1920, Firenze Dickinson Stearns, a poet and honorary president of Virginia Poetry Society, and Franklin Stearns, a grain merchant's wife, purchased the house. Queen Anne Victoria and Colonial Revival with a fan-patterned window from the entrance door to the attic.
1311- Inbuilt 1904 by A. P. Rowe, Free Lance Star Publishing Company and City Tax Collector. Builder, E. G. "Peck" Heflin. A more refined model of the Queen Anne Victoria and Colonial themes with versatile body elements
1401 – Inbuilt 1908 as a lawyer and actual estate investor in Granville R. Swift, ED Cole, additionally delegates from Virginia to Laws and Fredericksburg Commonwealth lawyer. The Queen Anne Victoria and Colonial Revival type blend in with the wrapped porch.
1403 – Inbuilt 1906 by Suzie B. Saunders, widow of Alexander P. Saunders, the primary president of the Fredericksburg School and minister of the Presbyterian Church. Simple Queen Anne Victorian fashion with ornamental shingles, dentil and Colonial Revival details
1405 – Constructed by J. A. Taylor, former "Chatham", former "Chatham", worker. His daughter Miss Sally Lacy, in 1910, went to China and served as a presbyterian missionary for 17 years. In 1913 the house was purchased by Mrs. Mary Eckenrode. His son, Dr. Hamilton James Eckenrode, Jr., was a writer and became a historian in the state of Virginia and the Virginia State Archivist. He was chargeable for installing the historic indicators on the highway. Simple Queen Anne Victorian type with ornamental coatings.
1407 – E.Cole inbuilt 1908 and bought Fredericksburg Baptist Church to Minister Aubrey Williams in 1904-1916. Owned by Richard CL Moncure from 1916 to 1927. Chatham Mrs. John Lee Pratt was the subsequent owner till his dying in 1947. The mixture of Queen Anne Victoria and Colonial Revival has double bay home windows, triple dormer and purposes
1409 – Inbuilt 1951 Miss Lucille Massey. The country is part of St. George's Church. Georgian Revival Type
1411 – Inbuilt 1909 by William "Buck" Peden. Constructed by Frank Stearns. Basic Queen Anne Victorian Type. The unique house was inbuilt 1890. It was the first home constructed after Kenmore, owned by W. Seymour White, lawyer, newspaper editor and mayor. The 1890s home was moved to Winchester Road 1909-1308, but Pedens used a kitchen constructing. Peden was a timber distributor and a pickle producer. His new house was built of cypress and oak. The house remained within the Peden family from 1909 to 1974. President Cleveland was entertained within the villa of S. Seymour White after the dedication of Mary Washington's monument in 1894. When President Eisenhower visited the Mary Washington Memorial in 1954, the key service was utilized by the Peden Home as the first observatory
620 LEWIS STREET
Native Contractor Frank Stearns built this stucco cabin in 1928 for EM Curtis. Please observe: pagoda porches, eyelashes and triple windows. This house demonstrates the influence of American and European architectural beliefs in the 20th century
This residential space was part of the 863-hectare Kenmore plantation. For years, the only home was the Lewis mansion, inbuilt 1752. There was a boulder on the planting website and close to the Lewis residence, trying to the west over a small valley. This was the favourite place for Mary Washington, Betty Washington's Lewis mother, and she or he requested for her to bury there. In 1833, a part of Mary Washington's monument was built on the grave, however it was not completed. In 1851, the town of Fredericksburg expanded its borders to this space. Until the 1889s, "Kenmore Plain" was solely open to farmland with the Lewis Home and the unfinished monument.
Two occasions that modified the character of "Kenmore Plain". One event was mentioned in February 1889 at the auction of Mary Washington's grave and one other occasion at the Fredericksburg Improvement Company in the 1890s. The storm brought on by the proposed sale of Mary Washington's tomb prompted the movement to buy a burial ground and renew efforts to complete or rebuild the brand new Washington Memorial. The nation's ladies have been referred to as to unite and save the burial place.
The Fredericksburg Improvement Firm bought part of the Kenmore part on the west aspect of the Lewis House, between the cemetery and the Mary Washington grave, and divides the road. By 1900, ten new homes have been constructed reverse the newly-built Washington Avenue. An extra 14 houses have been inbuilt 1917 in the Avenue constructing. One home was inbuilt 1925 and last, in 1951.
In 1891, on the request of the National Mary Washington Monument Association, the Fredericksburg City Council permitted a 150-foot vast avenue with a parallel roadway and a central roadway from Lewis Road to Mary Washington's Tomb and the new road was renamed Mary Washington Avenue.
Monuments and Factors of Curiosity in Washington Avenue
Inbuilt 1752 by Colonel Fielding Lewis, spouse of Betty Washington Lewis and Common Sister George Washington, the house is a wonderful example of the mid-19th century Tidewater Virginia structure and is understood for its decorative gypsum buildings. The 1775s Virginia Conference appointed Colonel Fielding Lewis as a member of the Fee, "to create, establish and manage small handicrafts at Fredericksburg". The dependencies of the kitchen and office have been reconstructed in the 1920s and the Crowninshield Museum was inbuilt 1975.
In 1922, the developer bought Kenmore plans to demolish the house or convert it into an condominium and divide the other two hectares of land. Fredericksburg ladies once once more organized and mobilized their power to save lots of and preserve another historic website. Just as they have been required in 1867 to determine a Accomplice Cemetery, in 1889 to build the Mary Washington Monument, to steer in 1897 the primary hospital in Fredericksburg, and in 1890 to stop Mary Washington Home from selling and transporting to the Chicago World Truthful, Fredericksburg ladies efficiently raised the required funds to purchase the property and the Kenmore Association was established. In 1929, Virginia Garden Club was requested to return to Kenmore Gardens. This effort resulted in Historic Backyard Week in Virginia
George Rogers Clark Memorial
George Rogers Clark was born in 1752 in Albemarle County. When he was 5, his mother and father, John and Ann Clark, moved to a household farm in Caroline County, the place they lived twenty-five years earlier than shifting to Kentucky. George Rogers Clark was educated as a landmark and on the age of twenty-two he went residence to explore the Kentucky and Ohio rivers. In the course of the revolution, Clark turned a basic in the Virginia militia.
Bronze pill stone for George Rogers Clark, a Northwest scientist and conqueror has been built on Washington Avenue. It has been written: "Commander George Rogers Clark, son of an old Virginia, daughters of the American Revolution, Muncie, daughters of Indiana, grateful recognition and strategic victory. The American Revolution served more sacrifice, strength and unnecessary courage, and no hero has achieved greater profits against higher odds. The Northwest owes its freedom to British tyranny to this prestigious patriot and soldier dedicated to April 1929. "
Common Hugh Mercer's Memorial
The US government set this statue by Common Mercer in 1906. The sculptor was Edward Valentine from Richmond who made the famous Robert E. Lee's reclining position at Washington Lee College.
Mercer was the chief of the revolution and was killed in the Battle of Princeton in 1777. He was a physician who fled Scotland after the Battle of Culloden, where he had supported Stuart's trigger. He came to Pennsylvania, where he met Colonel George Washington in the course of the French-Indian Struggle. Mercer moved to Fredericksburg in Washington for advice on drugs and pharmacy shops.
Basic George S. Patton of the World Conflict II popularity is a superb, nice, great grandson of Hugh Mercer.
In 1833, a Christian church was founded in Fredericksburg, which built its first church building on 1115 Caroline Road in the identical yr. When the civil struggle began, the church broke down and its church building was used as a hospital. In 1897, the Christian Church reorganized and modified its unique building. Through the years, Caroline Road's building turned insufficient for the needs of the Church. In 1962, the land was bought on the corner of Washington Avenue and Pitt Road and the current church building. The addition was inbuilt 1983.
Thomas Jefferson's Freedom of Faith Monument
This monument to spiritual freedom was revealed at a public ceremony on October 16, 1932. Representatives of the memorial took half in sixteen main US titles. . This monument was moved from its unique website in George Road in 1977.
Thomas Jefferson met here in Fredericksburg on January 13, 1777 The Primary Rule of Virginia Freedom is established with George Mason, Edmond Pendleton, George Wythen and Thomas Ludwell Lee. This famous bill confirmed the precept that "no one will suffer because of his religious beliefs or beliefs." This Virginia Statute was later included into the US Structure as a result of it’s the first proper of change.
The annual of this memorial on January 13, the town of Fredericksburg honors Thomas Jefferson and his farsightedness to provide each Virgin and each American freedom of faith. Jefferson stored this statute in Fredericksburg in reference to the Declaration of Independence and the establishment of the University of Virginia as one of many three biggest achievements of his life.
Mary Washington Monument and Meditation Rock
Mary Ball was born "Epping Forest", Lancaster County, Virginia (1708-1789), and married Captain Augustine Washington on March 6, 1731. They turned mother and father of 4 sons and two daughters: George, Samuel, John Augustine, Charles, Betty and Mildred (who died in infancy)
In 1772, Mary Washington moved from Ferry Farm to Fredericksburg's house, purchased by her son George Washington. He typically got here to this place to meditate and pray and requested him to bury here. Mary Washington died in 1789 and her grave went unmarked for many years. In 1833, the rich New York merchant, Silas Burrows, agreed to pay for Mary Washington's tomb and President Jackson made a cornerstone. The economic reversals prevented Mr Burrows from finalizing the monument and the axle was by no means mounted on the platform. In 1889, a yr of Mary Washington's dying, the group was based to build a brand new monument. The Nationwide Mary Washington Memorial Association established the present monument and on 10 Might 1894 it was devoted. President Grover Cleveland was an excellent guest and keynote speaker. Vice President Adlai E. Stevenson, President of Virginia and other dignitaries have been current
The cemetery of the Gordon family behind the Mary Washington Memorial. Gordons have been the house owners of Kenmore's 19th century.
1500 Washington Avenue
Built on c.1896 by the Nationwide Mary Washington Monument Affiliation for a museum and caretaker residence. The first inhabitants of "Lodge" have been Decide and Mrs. John T. Goolrick. Mrs Goolrick was an enormous. Decide Goolrick was a decide at the Fredericksburg Enterprise Courtroom for a few years. He was one of the well-known residents in the city, recognized for his orthical expertise and the history of Fredericksburg and the biography of Hugh Mercer. In 1966, this property and the adjacent Mary Washington Monument were given to the town of Fredericksburg. The Kenmore Affiliation has leased this building since 1979. Built from native granite. Reflects the playful mixing of the Roman, Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial parts by the good American architect H. H. Richardson and McKim, Mead and White. Purple mortar reflects using colored mortar in the 20th century.
Fredericksburg Metropolis Cemetery and Confederate Cellar
The brick wall consists of two cemeteries. When the left-hand cemetery arrived at the handsome iron gate, the Fredericksburg Cemetery Company based a city founded in 1844 in a cemetery. The cemetery on the proper is the Confederate Cemetery, situated in a land purchased by Women & # 39; Memorial Affiliation in 1867, which fits into the deaths of a whole lot of confederate soldiers and swiftly buried on the battlefields of one of the earliest days of remembrance. land on this cemetery. The Ladies's Memorial Society annually decorates the tombs of federal troopers with flags as part of the Memorial Day. A powerful monument to the Confederate Cemetery was devoted in 1884 to "Confederate Death". It has a granite base and a accomplice soldier's life-size bronze statue in a dressing parade.
Federal soldiers who died in the area in the course of the Civil Warfare have been redesigned to the Fredericksburg Nationwide Cemetery (situated at Marye's Heights), founded in 1865 by the US Authorities.
Five confederacy expertise are buried in a cemetery along with quite a few other accomplice veterans. Probably the most fascinating veterans buried right here is Lucy Ann Cox, who followed the accomplice soldier's husband for four years and acquired the Honorary Consul's veteran. His tombstone reads, "The division of the 30th century Va. Infy. C.S.A .: Hazards and Defects 1861-1865".
Analysis and Text by Barbara P. Willis and John N. Pearce